Stanborough Secondary School celebrated the World Book Day a week late because students and staff were on a spiritual journey through Bible heroes led by pastors Jacques Venter and Sam Nevis the week before. But the excitement ran high as 6 student teams and 3 staff teams filled the Assembly Hall, all with the intention to have a great time and, ultimately, to win.
Visiting students from Beijing joined in the fun. Questions ranged from Bible to Biology and at times our teachers had to think really hard. Let’s test if you’d know the answers to a couple of questions:
- When David went to face Goliath, his armory consisted of his sling and how many stones?
- Name the American president who sold his collection of Books to the Congress for $25 000 and this collection became the beginning of the Library of Congress?
- Which composer became deaf at about the age of 30?
- What is 40 divided by 1/2, plus 15?
- Into which sea does the River Jordan in Israel flow?
Red house parents will be pleased to know that ….Red House took the top place!
Congratulations to the red girls who earned 42 points, overtaking the closest team by 2 points! Blue girls are on the 2nd place with 40 points. Red boys and Green boys settled for the third place with 38 points each.
The battle between the staff was just as intense. Blue staff took the 1st place with 50 points, while Red followed with 49 points. Well done!
A big thank you to all parents and students for raising £103.10 for new Books and DVDs for the Library through the non-uniform day!
While all winning teams got either chocolates, notebooks or books, all students received their World Book Day coupons-do not forget to exchange them for free books by March 30! Another prize for the whole of Stanborough Family is 40 Bible cartoons worth over $1000 produced by Richard Rich, former director of Walt Disney Productions. The collection is now being catalogued and stories are waiting to be discovered over the Easter break!
Thanks to all for your support and have a fun year leaning and preparing for the next year’s Whole School World Book Day Quiz!
Text by: Liubov Milis-Hopa
Pictures by: Daniel H.
- 5 stones (1 Samuel 17:40)
- Thomas Jefferson
- 95. Dividing by 1/2 is the same as multiplying by 2. So, 40 · 2 + 15 = 95.
- The Dead Sea